MOXIDECTIN 2% / PRAZIQUANTEL 12.5% Suspension (1000mL)
Login for pricing
- Product Type:
- Therapeutic Class:
Moxidectin is a milbemycin antiparasitic that is FDA-approved for cattle, dogs, cats, ferrets, sheep, & horses. The primary mode of action of milbemycin drugs like moxidectin is to affect chloride ion channel activity in the nervous system of nematodes and arthropods. Moxidectin binds to receptors that increase membrane permeability to chloride ions. This inhibits the electrical activity of nerve cells in nematodes and muscle cells in arthropods and causes paralysis and death of the parasites. Moxidectin also enhances the release of gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) at presynaptic neurons.1
In horses and ponies 6 months of age or older, moxidectin is indicated for the treatment and control of:
- Large strongyles: Strongylus vulgaris (adults and L4L5 arterial stages); Strongylus edentatus (adults and tissue stages); Triodontophorus brevicauda (adults); Triodontophorus serratus (adults);
- Small strongyles (adults and larvae): Cyathostomum spp (adults); Cylicocyclus spp (adults); Cylicostephanus spp (adults); Coronocyclus spp, Gyalocephalus capitatus (adults); Petrovinema poculatus (adults); undifferentiated lumenal larvae;
- Encysted cyathostomes: late L3 and L4 mucosal cyathostome larvae;
- Ascarids: Parascaris equorum (adults and L4 larval stages);
- Pin worms: Oxyuris equi (adults and L4 larval stages);
- Hair worms: Trichostrongylus axei (adults);
- Large-mouth stomach worms: Habronema muscae (adults);
- Horse stomach bots: Gasterophilus intestinalis (2nd and 3rd instars)1
Praziquantel is an antiparasitic drug typically used to control tapeworms (Anoplocephala perfoliata) in horses. In formulations labeled for use in horses, praziquantel is typically combined with other anthelmintic deworming drugs. When moxidectin is combined with praziquantel, additional coverage against Anoplocephala spp occurs.
Some reports of colic after praziquantel administration have occurred in horses that had very high tapeworm loads.2 Since equine dewormers have been known to be toxic to dogs and cats, cleaning of barn aisles, wash-racks, etc. is recommended after administration, particularly in operations in which dogs and/or cats are known to be present.
Moxidectin 2% / Praziquantel 12.5% 1000 ml by NexGen is a superior horse worming medication that provides relief from a wide range of worms and helmintic infestations.
FOR RX ONLY: A valid prescription from a licensed veterinarian is required for dispensing this medication.